The Penn Township Volunteer Fire Company was organized in September of 1952, after a very costly fire in Penn Township. It was chartered in March of 1955, "To Serve and Protect the Lives and Property of our Citizens". The first company meetings were held in the Centerville School.
In the Spring of 1957, a firehouse was constructed on Pine Road in Huntsdale. The first piece of apparatus was an old Friendship truck from Carlisle. A 1,250 gallon Tanker truck was then placed into service shortly thereafter. In 1961, a 500 GPM Fire Engine was purchased from the Martinsburg Fire Company in Pennsylvania and placed into service.
In a series of rapid changes that followed, equipment and services were upgraded. In 1973, a QRS unit was organized to respond to medical assist calls in our area. This was the first such unit in Cumberland County.
Other equipment that we have used in our past history include: a 1970 Ward LaFrance engine, a 1979 Pierce Rescue/Utility vehicle, and a brush truck custom built in 1992 from a Dodge military chassis.
After enlarging our original building in 1970, a 30 acre tract of land was purchased on Pine Road, just west of Huntsdale. A 17,000 square foot building was constructed and it was occupied in July of 1983. The mortgage burning for the facility took place on August 29th, 1993, retiring the 30 year mortgage twenty years ahead of schedule. We then constructed a 5,600 square foot addition to get our present station configuration.
Several pavilions, restrooms and storage facilities were also constructed for use at our annual fair, which runs in the beginning of August every year.
The present members of Company 50 look to the past with respect for the members whose decisions have brought us to where we are today, striving constantly to improve and provide the best for those that we serve.